As well as exploring the Werribee River, one of the most scenic rivers in Melbourne, this ride goes through pleasant parklands in Werribee. It starts and finishes at Werribee Station.
The first leg of the ride is south along the Werribee River, through remnants of bushland. Over to the west are fields. The next segment is through a mixture of housing and paddocks to a campus of Victoria University. A brief ride through Hoppers Crossing takes you to the Drain Reserve, a pleasant linear path. A slight detour off this is Heathdale Glen Orden Wetlands, worth visiting to check out the birds. The final part of the ride is particularly scenic as it follows Davis Creek and Werribee River back to the start.
Cafes and Toilets
There are cafes and toilets near Werribee Station and Hoppers Crossing Station.
There are toilets in Heathdale Glen Orden Wetlands and Presidents Park.
Glen Orden Wetlands has covered picnic tables and makes a pleasant place for a break.
Almost all the ride is on sealed bike track. While much of it is flat, the portion along the Werribee River is undulating.
Werribee Station to Hoppers Crossing Station (10.2km)
- The ride starts on the south side of Werribee Station.
- Head west along the shared path between the railway line and Comben Drive. As you approach the river this becomes the Werribee River Trail.
- Continue on this trail keeping the river on your right until just before the Princes Freeway.
- At this point the trail turns left to leave the river and then right. Ignore the first trail on your left.
- The Werribee River Trail meets Federation Trail at the next three-way intersection.
- Turn left and follow Federation Trail alongside Princes Freeway. There is a slight detour along Frogetts Lane to cross Duncans Road. Just before Sneydes Road the trail turns left to leave the Princes Freeway.
- You then cross Sneydes Road and ride past Victoria University alongside Hoppers Lane to reach Princes Highway (not to be confused with Princes Freeway).
- Cross Princes Highway and then use Old Geelong Road to cross the railway line near Hoppers Crossing Station.
Hoppers Crossing Station to BMX Track (2.6km)
- Immediately after crossing the railway line turn left and ride between the railway line and the shops through Powell Reserve.
- Turn left onto Powell Drive and follow this until it bends to the right.
- Turn left onto Bernhardt Avenue. Bernhardt Avenue bends to the left. Just after this is a bike trail along Drain Reserve on your left.
- Turn left and then right onto the bike trail in Drain Reserve.
- Follow the bike trail to Derrimut Street. At Derrimut Street, carefully cross the road to pick up the trail opposite and slightly to the left.
- Continue straight ahead to a BMX track.
BMX Track to Riverside Drive (4.8km)
- Continue straight ahead and turn left at the next intersection. This trail takes you to the Heathdale Glen Orden Wetlands.
- If you are not having a break in the wetlands turn right at the first intersection and then left to stay in Drain Reserve.
- If you are stopping in the wetlands you will return to this point.
- Continue to follow the trail along Drain Reserve, crossing Heaths Road, until just past Cambridge Primary School you reach Dowling Avenue.
- Turn left. At the end of Dowling Avenue turn left onto Hogans Road.
- Follow Hogans Road crossing Thames Boulevard at a roundabout.
- Turn left from Hogans Road into Riverside Drive at the next intersection after the roundabout.
Riverside Drive to Werribee Station (7.3km)
- Follow Riverside Drive around one bend to find the trail along Davis Creek.
- Keeping Davis Creek to your right follow the trail until it becomes Werribee River Trail as Davis Creek meets the river.
- Follow the Werribee River Trail keeping the river to your right until you meet Cottrell Street.
- Cross Cottrell Street and turn right to cross the river, then turn left back on the trail.
- Follow the trail under the railway line.
- Turn left at the shared pedestrian cycle bridge to cross the river.
- Turn left and follow Comben Drive back to Werribee Station.
Shorten the ride
- by starting at Hoppers Crossing Station and doing Step 9 onwards.
Extend the ride
- by following part or all of this ride by Federation Trail.
- Melway or Melway Online: Starts at map reference 205 K8
- Please click on box with arrow at top left corner to see the map legend.
- Please click on box at top right corner to see the map in Google Maps. You must be logged into Google Maps to do this.
Note that where you head north from the Princes Freeway part of the trail is missing on Google Maps.