If you like magnificent views of Melbourne and a beautiful, serene and altogether awesome river to ride alongside, this is the ride for you! The ride goes from Moonee Ponds Station to Flinders Street Station.
From Moonee Ponds Station you’ll go by road to the Maribyrnong River, with the opportunity to stop and ponder excellent views of Melbourne’s tall buildings. Going downstream along the Maribyrnong River you will pass Pipemakers Park, a large open space with extensive native tree plantings, and Frog Hollow Wetlands.
Enjoy riding right down the middle of the river over islands before reaching the Heavenly Queen Temple with its grand entrance gate and the impressive statue of “Mazu”, Lin Mo Laing, the Chinese heavenly queen.
Eventually the ride turns to cross the river on a bike bridge next to Shepherds Bridge before following Footscray Road to meet the Capital City Trail. This trail goes through Docklands and the Yarra to Flinders Street Station.
There are cafes at the start and end of the ride and at The Boathouse beside the river. Another possible stop is to turn right just after Frog Hollow and take a detour to a café and a deli in Cormorant Place overlooking a marina at Burndap Park.
The ride is along bike paths except for an initial stretch on roads. It is mainly flat except for one hill.
Moonee Ponds Station to Maribyrnong River/Vida St (2.8km)
- The ride starts on the west side of Moonee Ponds Station.
- Go north along Norwood Crescent and stay right to continue on Trinafour Street.
- Turn right into Mantell Street and left into Park Street.
- Ride along Park Street first going down and then up a hill.
- At the top of the hill you will reach Waverley Street. Dismount and very carefully cross this busy street.
- Continue on Park Street around Aberfeldie Park. There are great views of the city from here.
- Turn left into Vida Street and go downhill to the Maribyrnong River.
Maribyrnong River/Vida St to Shepherds Bridge (7.3km)
- Cross the road and turn left onto the bike trail.
- Follow the bike trail until it goes up to Raleigh Road.
- Cross the Maribyrnong River by riding on the footpath next to Raleigh Road and pick up the bike trail on the other side.
- Continue to ride downstream past Pipemakers Park and Frogs Hollow. You will then ride along some islands connected by bridges before passing the Heavenly Queen.
- Eventually, at Footscray Road, you will pass under Shepherds Bridge and a parallel bike bridge. Turn right to loop up onto the bike bridge.
Shepherds Bridge to Flinders Street Station (7.7km)
- Use the bridge to cross the Maribyrnong River and continue straight ahead on the bike path alongside Footscray Road.
- At City Link the path loops to the right to pass under this freeway.
- After another 100m the path meets the Capital City Trail.
- Go straight ahead to follow the trail alongside Footscray Road and Harbour Esplanade until you reach Navigation Drive (just after Collins Street).
- Turn right and left to use the Webb Bridge to cross the Yarra River.
- Turn left and follow the Yarra River to Jeff’s Shed (the Melbourne Exhibition Centre). Southern Cross Station is across the river and one block north.
- Continue along the river bank until you reach the pedestrian bridge just after Queensbridge Street.
- Cross this bridge and turn right. A short ride takes you to the river entrance to Flinders Street Station.
- Melway or Melway Online: Starts at map reference 28 G7
- Please click on box with arrow at top left corner to see the map legend.
- Please click on box at top right corner to see the map in Google Maps. You must be logged into Google Maps to do this.
Note that as yet Google Maps does not have the bike bridge next to Shepherds Bridge. Also there are a couple of very short gaps as Google does not allow cyclists to dismount and walk across roads.